Feel free to donate if you like my work :)

petek, 8. april 2016

SAY SOMETHING – A GREAT BIG WORLD FEAT. CHRISTINA AGUILERA



My favourite sentence from the lyrics is: I'll be the one if you want me to.


I have always wondered how singers decide to join their forces. Here is an amazing story. Song has been written for A Great Big World and co-written by the duo members and song was released in their solo album on February 2011. After the release, a dancer decided to dance to this song on a TV show So You Think You Can Dance. Christina Aguilera heard the song, fell in love whit it, called them and a new version was released in November 2013. On Billboard webpage, Jason Lipshutz has written what Axel, the mamber of A Great Big World has sad: »In that whole process, someone on our team played it for someone on Christina's team, and we got a call that Christina wanted to record it, and then, literally a week later, we were in L.A. recording it with her.«

Say Something is an indie pop piano ballad. Lyrics are just as emotional as melody. Lyrics are about really fragile relationship that is going to brakeup any minute now, but we can still feel the love and a little hope. On Billboard webpage by Jason Lipshutz: »Originally released in early September, "Say Something" was written at a time when both members of A Great Big World were experiencing individual heartbreak. Writing the song was part of the healing process, says Axel, and the duo is still getting used to the wide-range affinity for such a personal tune.«

On website greatbigworld.wikia we can read what Christina Aguilera has said about the song and the duo: »Somebody sent me the song (...) and it's just the most simplest song that doesn't have to fit a formula to be heard and to be appreciated, so I just heard it and I've never done anything like this before and I was just like, 'You know', I just started to hear a harmony part over it and I was like, 'get in touch with these guys and see if they wanna get in the studio and sit behind the piano and just vibe together and see what happens...' and we did, and they're so humble, so sweet, so down to earth, and I'm all about that and supporting that, and we came together so organically and it was fun.«


Piano and the strings make such a great balence that gives to duet's voice an expressive power. And the lyrics are just extra sprinklers to this delicious »cake«. To me it's a really powerful song.


 
 


Lyrics:

 Say something, I'm giving up on you,
 I'll be the one if you want me to,
 anywhere I would've followed you,
 say something, I'm giving up on you.

 And I, am feeling so small,
 it was over my head,
 I know nothing at all,
 and I, will stumble and fall,
 I'm still learning to love,
 just starting to crawl.

 Say something, I'm giving up on you,
 I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you,
 anywhere I would've followed you,
 say something, I'm giving up on you.

 And I, will swallow my pride,
 you're the one that I love,
 and I'm saying goodbye.

 Say something, I'm giving up on you,
 and I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you,
 and anywhere I would've followed you,
 say something, I'm giving up on you.